[antlr-interest] Re: Translators Should Use Tree Grammars

atripp54321 atripp at comcast.net
Tue Nov 23 19:09:28 PST 2004

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Monty Zukowski <monty at c...>
wrote:
> > atripp54321 wrote:
> >

> >>What's the most complex translator that that people
> >>have seen? (Complex meaning functionality, not internals).
> >

> The most complex translator I've seen elsewhere is CCured
> http://manju.cs.berkeley.edu/ccured/index.html
>
> The C Intermediate Language which CCured is based upon is a very
well
> thought out piece of software.  They reduce C to a basic set of
> primitives, for instance all loops become while(1) loops with
explicit
> breaks.  See
> http://manju.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/cil005.html#sec-cabs2cil for
details.

> This basic set of primitives is more useful for C to C
transformations
> and not well suited to translating C to another language.  That
said,
> reducing the complexity of C to the subset makes it easier to write
> analysis and translation code because there are far fewer
variations to
> deal with.
>
> This software is written in OCaml and I've had more than one client
> dismiss the tool because of that.
>
> In any case I highly recommend studying this tool because it gives
> excellent details on what is involved in a serious translation
project.

> Monty

Thanks, I'll look at that. One of the tools I looked at
was one called DMS from Semantic Designs:
http://semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html

IIRC, it does something similar: it has a front-end for
each of various languages, parses them all into some
common intermediate language (or perhaps just
an AST in a standard format, I don't remember).
That tool looked like an ideal platform to build a
translator on top of, but it was out of my price range.

Andy