[antlr-interest] Re: HumAnt (XML is evil and other non-ANTLR topics)

iank at bearcave.com iank at bearcave.com
Wed Nov 24 13:57:36 PST 2004

> Note that I'm conversing with Matt Benson at the moment to create
> HumAnt, a human readable version of Ant with its filthy xml spec.
> Oddly enough what I came up with looks like make w/o the whitespace
> issue. ;)

  Yet another example that Terence rocks!

  I recall that in the early days XML was described as a format for
  computer communication, not for humans to read and write.  Yet we
  now find ourselves in a world where we're writing XML all them
  time.  Resin uses an XML configuration file, SOAP uses an XML
  configuration file.  My colleagues build tools that read human
  written XML.  And then there is Ant, that also takes XML as input.
  Yech!  HumAnt sounds like a great idea.  XML as a language is very
  awkward.

  Ian