[antlr-interest] (Real

Colm McHugh colmmagoo at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 14:05:51 PDT 2004

Hi antlr-interest,

[Language=C++ only, didn't try with Java]

This is in the realm of triviality, but I noticed
today that antlr produces what looks like to me an
obscure error message if a variable in an action
begins with an '_' (underscore) char:

// offending snippet from test.g:

mexpr returns [int _rr = 0]
 {int tmp = 0;}
     :  _rr=atom (STAR tmp=atom { _rr*=tmp; )*
     ;

$ antlr test.g
ANTLR Parser Generator   Version 2.7.4   1989-2004
jGuru.com
TokenStreamException: unexpected char: '_'

Anyways, had me baffled for a few minutes so just
thought I'd share!