[antlr-interest] How to determine execution path?

Bryan Ewbank ewbank at synopsys.com
Tue Oct 12 12:48:22 PDT 2004

> THE QUESTION:
>
> -How to determine execution path?

Are you asking how to track which statements *will always* be executed in
the same run?  If you look for references to postdominators in a good
compiler text, you should be able find the information you need.

I don't think that a parse tree is the right data structure here - a CFG
(control flow graph) would be much better at identifying statement pairs.
Again, look for "control flow graph" or "basic block" for more information
here.

Sorry, I've not done this type of work in the ANTLR world yet.  I suspect
I'll be building a CFG rather than attempting this in the AST world...

- Bryan Ewbank