[antlr-interest] Re: build issues: bytecode assembly generation

Akhilesh Mritunjai virtualaspirin at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 23 02:13:07 PDT 2004

--- Don Caton <dcaton at shorelinesoftware.com> wrote:

> Which brings me back to my original question of "why
> Java?" for this type of
> thing?  I suppose for light duty parsing
> requirements it might be ok, but I
> can't imagine that an Antlr-generated Java
> lexer/parser could ever approach
> the speed of a fully optimized C++ one.

True. But for some cases they're the only solution.
For one project I was taking up, the tool was supposed
to be able to run on 3 different platforms as varied
as *nix-gcc to windows-msvc and solaris-suncc.
Supporting all three on C/C++ was nightmare. My
solution was to pick up eclipse and program away in
Java and care *less* about the zillion compiler
compatibilities, GUI issues and segfaults.(too bad I
chose JavaCC at that time.. ANTLR would have made a
HELL LOT of difference)

> I'm rarely
> in favor of sacrificing
> runtime efficiency for programmer convenience.

Last I read that was from some posting from '80s where
assembly programmers were complaining about slooowness
of C. How about writing a lexer+parser tool in
assembly ?? <:-)

Remember, you can buy two FAST computers for the price
of a decent programmer's one month salary!!

I like this quote from a LISP hackers' site :
"I refuse to do things that computers can do".

- Akhilesh