[antlr-interest] OTT: What do you like about GOLD? (was: ANTLR 2.7.4 code gen doc)

micheal_jor open.zone at virgin.net
Sun Oct 24 06:37:11 PDT 2004

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "silke7772003"
<silke7772003 at y...> wrote:
> Hi Micheal,

> Thank you very much for this list of what-must-be-done. It is much
appreciated. However the mention of the GOLD engine
> made me look there and I'm quite surprised about what this package
already can do. Additionally, there is already a
> Delphi port for the engine! Sure, the table based approach is much
harder to debug, but my old Delphi Compiler Generator
> tool als was a YACC descentant so this is something I'm still
familiar with. Not as comfortable as ANTLR though...

Mike,

I think GOLD is a competent LALR parser gen toolkit too. Didn't like
the closed source grammar builder though.

In any case, since you already have an LALR lexer/parser gen toolkit
that generates Delphi code, what feature of the GOLD toolkit (and
runtime engines) is tempting/persuading you to switch to it. IOW, what
does it do that other Delphi-friendly Lex/Yacc descendants - that
you've looked at - don't?

Micheal