[antlr-interest] OTT: What do you like about GOLD? (was: ANTLR 2.7.4 code gen doc)

silke7772003 silke7772003 at yahoo.de
Tue Oct 26 04:08:13 PDT 2004

Hi Micheal,

> In any case, since you already have an LALR lexer/parser gen
> toolkit that generates Delphi code, what feature of the GOLD
> toolkit (and runtime engines) is tempting/persuading you to
> switch to it. IOW, what does it do that other Delphi-friendly
> Lex/Yacc descendants - that you've looked at - don't?

Unfortunately, I never found the time to finish my tool so it would generate working parsers. Only the lexer generation
work quite well. The only other two toolkist with Delphi code output I looked where the orignal Pascal port of Yacc/Lex,
which is rather a ness and Coco/R, which is not free IIRC and uses an own grammar syntax. Then I had a lot of work to do
in Java the past months and started using ANTLR for my *.rc file parser (which works already very well). So I thought
using this knowledge also to create a parser for Delphi would be a good idea. Only I did not expect that creating
another code generator would be that much work (since there are already 3 different ones).

Hence I looked at GOLD because it was mentioned here and found it not only to support Unicode (what my tool cannot,
don't even mention the pascal yacc) and it comes already with a Delphi port. And since time is always limited to produce
what is necessary I will start working with what promises the quickest results.

Mike
--
www.soft-gems.net