[antlr-interest] More on TokenWithIndex

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Wed Oct 27 11:36:30 PDT 2004

On Oct 27, 2004, at 10:08 AM, John D. Mitchell wrote:
> (B) The attribute support coming in v3 will certainly make that easy
> to do.
> That's a wicked tease, I know.  I'm jonesing for that very support
> right
> now in a translator that I'm working on as that built-in dynamic
> attribute
> support would make all sorts of things that I'm doing quicker and
> easier to
> do.

Hi John,

BTW, I ran this scoped attribute / dynamic scoping attribute stuff
intended for 3.0 past an attribute grammar expert at dinner.  She
agreed it was interesting; she suggested that Uwe Kastens had already
done something similar.  I just found this:

http://ag-kastens.uni-paderborn.de/lehre/material/compi/folien/ci67
-78d.ps

He calls it "Dependency pattern INCLUDING".  "An attribute at the root
of a subtree is sued from within the subtree. Propagation through the
context in between is omitted."

So that is what we are talking about with dynamic scoping 'cept that we
use named scopes rather than rulename.attr.  Thankfully the antlr2004
workshop discovered this need!

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com