[antlr-interest] rpms for antlr

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Fri Sep 17 02:38:57 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 11:06:52AM +0200, Xavier Décoret wrote:
> I build rpms for installing antlr easily on all our machines. You can
> find them at:
> http://artis.imag.fr/Membres/Xavier.Decoret/resources/antlr/index.html#rpms

Great! Is this based on the included spec file ? If not I'd appreciate
patches to the included spec file.

Did you base this on java or on gcj ? How did you solve the problem with
java on linux (e.g. the lack of a standard place where it's installed? Or
did this improve lately?)

> Building the rpm I found a minor problem with antlr-2.7.4.tar.gz. when
> doing make install, you get antlr.jar installed in
> /usr/share/antlr-2.7.3 so I guess the version number was not changed.

Yeah that one slipped through :( I can provide a 'service pack' patch on
2.7.4 that fixes a load of issues found after release.

> I also have some questions for Terence Parr.
> - is that OK if I distribute the rpms?
> - for the license, I put "Terence Parr" for the moment. I understood
> that ANTLR is free but can I say it is GLP?
> - is there any special reason you are not using libtool for building
> libantlr.a for C++?

Well I'm not Terence but anyway ;) GPL (at least I assume you mean GPL) is
quite different from public domain. Which is the current license for antlr.
So better stick public domain in the RPM header (at least I assume you talk
about the license tag for the RPM header?).

Redistribution should be ok it's public domain after all, only if it's
somehow modified then you should better mark it as such in a readme or the
RPM header. You can also upload the RPM's to antlr.org. Or put a link on
antlr.org to your site (that's what I do with my antlr snapshots, that's
more convenient than hassling with the upload file thing)

Actually it could be cool if Terence made a yum repository for antlr on
antlr.org (it's only a certain directory structure on a ftp/webserver) That
way we could automatically push out updates.

I didn't use libtool because it doesn't add anything when building a static
archive. It only adds delays in the build (ok not a big issue anymore since
I got my new machine ;) )

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893755  ----