[antlr-interest] rpms for antlr

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Fri Sep 17 03:58:45 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:00:03PM +0200, Xavier Décoret wrote:
> Yes it is the included spec file. What patches do you suggest.

Ack, my coffee level must be low ;) I assumed you had made changes to the
included spec file or rolled your own (seeing your license question, since
the included one lists 'Public Domain' as license).

> >Did you base this on java or on gcj ? How did you solve the problem with
> >java on linux (e.g. the lack of a standard place where it's installed? Or
> >did this improve lately?)
> >
> I solved it the dictatorial way ;-). I made it depend from j2sdk which
> is a freely available rpm.
>
> >Yeah that one slipped through :( I can provide a 'service pack' patch on
> >2.7.4 that fixes a load of issues found after release.
> >
> I guess you mention that to Terence and it will be in 2.7.5

All those changes are already in the repository only question is when a
2.7.5 release will be made.

> It does add a lot! But it is subtle. I am building a static library A
> with libtool. It links with libantlr.a.  Then I am building a shared
> library B that links with A. If I build libantlr.a with libtool, then
> this process works and I can distribute the libB.so. But if I use the
> libantlr.a build by Terence package, libtool refuse to build libB.so (I
> am not sure why).

That's weird behaviour you describe. Could it be that the libtool build of
library B strips out the libantlr, or mangles the order of the archives
passed to the linker?

Libtool has an annoying habit of knowing things better when it in fact does
not (e.g. it sometimes strips out necessary options) This is actually the
main reason why I hate it with a vengeance. (I maintain the Gnu compiler
chain on solaris here on the faculty and it seriously annoys the crap out
of me that I have to rerun every link command manually for every library
that uses libtool just because it insists mangling the options I want to
see on the linker command line)

> So I would like a default built with libtool ;-)

I'm somewhat afraid that I need more convincing ;) I could consider making
a fake libantlr.la file though...

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893755  ----