[antlr-interest] Language-Neutral Actions

Scott Stanchfield scott at javadude.com
Sat Apr 16 19:45:13 PDT 2005

> > This would allow a grammar to be targeted to pretty much
> any language.
>
> Well, in my experience you always need an action where you
> don't have one yet and you need local variables access and
> parameters etc...  How do you pass arguments around to
> different rules in a language independent way?

I think the stuff you've done for accessing tokens and rules w/ implicit
variables covers this (possibly...) The param and return values could be
problematic, though.

I think what may work is to do untyped parameters and return values, and
when generating code we could specify a language mapping for the types.

Later,
-- Scott