[antlr-interest] Serious doubts on usage of incremental parsinginides

Scott Stanchfield scott at javadude.com
Mon Apr 25 03:30:23 PDT 2005

Ahhh... I took "incremental parsing" for "incremental compilation".

Never mind ;)

AFAICS, the user can only be editing one thing at a time, so there's really
only one model to update (no matter how many views on that model). Unless
you have a very slow machine or very low RAM causing swapping, this should
be pretty much unnoticeable.

I guess I'll come back to eclipse anyway. I've never noticed it stopping me
just because it's updating its ast. Occasionally I'll have to wait a few
seconds for a large build (due to some validation weirdness in the
webtools), but even that's minimal.

I'm not sure if eclipse is totally rebuilding the ast each time or not (it
may be). I'm working on a plugin that filters trivial get/set methods and
displays an editable table of bean properties (which is why I want the ANTLR
tree support to be more flexible), and I had it rebuild the ast each time
and it wasn't noticeable to me. (In other words, the ast build was getting
called at least twice per refresh; once by eclipse, once by me. However,
eclipse may be caching it and detecting changes so it can simply return it).

Later,
-- Scott