[antlr-interest] Serious doubts on usage of incrementalparsinginides

Scott Stanchfield scott at javadude.com
Tue Apr 26 17:33:02 PDT 2005

> It's my belief (and experience)
> that ides make life easier for the average guy, but that the
> *good* programmer does even better without one.

If you'd ever seen me with Eclipse, you'd know that that statement is 100%
false.

A good programmer with a good tool that he knows well can significantly
increase productivity.

Note that I said "knows well". This means that a tool like eclipse can
really slow folks down if they don't know it well. For example, switching
from emacs to eclipse can be a productivity drain for a while. However, once
you come up to speed and learn a lot of tricks, many can increase your
productivity. (I've seen this countless times with ex vi/emacs users moving
to eclipse.) But there are some folks who will always be better with vi or
emacs than eclipse. (IMHO, it's mostly stubborn folks who insist "IDE" == "I
Don't have Emacs" and just plain refuse to really learn the tool...)

Statements like you're making are just naiive. Just because you haven't
taken the time to really learn a good IDE (VAJ or Eclipse, for example),
doesn't mean they're toys. You have to give them more than a short (read 1-2
weeks) try. You have to really use them to find how productive they can be.

If you only use the basic editing support (which is what most people do at
first), of course it's less productive than some of the whiz-bang stuff you
can do with a few keystrokes in vi or an elisp macro. But when you really
open your eyes to the rest of the tool, it blows everything else away.

Of course YMMV.

Just don't spread totally unsubstantiated statements like that. For every
person you can bring up to spout those statements, I'm sure I can find
several to counter it (just from places I've worked ;)

Later,
-- Scott