[antlr-interest] are ides a good thing? (was:Seriousdoubtsonusage of incrementalparsinginides)

Scott Stanchfield scott at javadude.com
Wed Apr 27 20:22:36 PDT 2005

> Well, I'm as much a coder as any of the others here - "can
> you write a program to do X?" and I do.

Not what I said. Read my note again.

You said you only spend 20% of your time coding, and my point was that you
have no business making such sweeping assertions under those circumstances.

I most definitely did not say nor imply anything about your coding
_ability_.

> As for
> > "Hackers"... Enough said.
> What do you mean?
>
> By definition, a hacker is one of the brightest of the bright [...]

Wrong definition. I'm talking about folks who just sit and randomly hack
code together, no design, and a "just get it to work" approach with no
consideration of maintenance.

They may be incredibly bright, but if you've ever tried to work on their
code, you know exactly what I'm talking about...

I'm not talking about people who break into systems...

Later,
-- Scott