[antlr-interest] Type Checking/Semantic Analysis

houman babai hbabai at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 1 15:55:13 PDT 2005

Hello Everyone,

I am developing a simple typed language.  So far things have been going very well. Thanks to ANTLR and existing grammar samples, I have been able to create an AST without too much trouble.

However, now I find that my grammar allows for statements such as TRUE > FALSE.  I would like to catch issues like this through semantic/type checking routines.

------>QUESTION 1: Is this a correct approach?  I mean should I catch these types of errors through semantic analysis or should I be relying on the parser to catch them?

My grammar also allows for variables so I really doubt that I can rely on the parser for all type checking.  So I decided to use ‘my own’ AST nodes and attempt type checking either recursively or using the VISITOR design pattern.

However, I haven’t seen any examples out there that approach the problem in this manner.  So

------>QUESTION 2: Is there a better way to do type checking or semantic analysis in ANTLR?  Are there any examples out there?  (or am I on the right track :-)?

Best Regards,

Houman

Martin Olsson <mnemo at minimum.se> wrote:
Thanks Alexey. I've been tampering with this lexer error handling for 8h
now, but now finally it works for the "¤" char atleast!

Now, is it possible to generalize this rule into something that traps more
or less everything that the lexer doesn't understand? I mean if someone
enters some other obscure char like £ into the source I want that
highlighted as a syntax error too (still without the lexer/parser stopping
its operation). I could of course add another rule just like the one
below, but there is too many chars that is not used in my language so I
would rather have a general rule if possible.

I also have another question on the same theme. My language does
assignments using the ::= operator and comparisions using the == operator.
Lot's of users will try to assign variables using the = operator instead.
Currently when someone tries to use "x=blah" my lexer believes that the =
is a partial == and thus it says "found 'b' but expected '='". This is all
very well, but at this stage the lexer also aborts its operations. All the
stuff below the faulty assignment does not get parsed. In this case I
would like something similar to what you taught me above, ie I dont want
the lexer to stop; I just want it to mark the = as a "bad token syntax
error" and then keep on going. Is this doable too maybe?

regards,
martin