[antlr-interest] Incremental parsing?

Dave Dixon dave at provisdom.com
Tue Aug 30 12:01:11 PDT 2005

Hi.  I have a shiny new language which is parsed by antlr, trying to
integrate with Visual Studio so I can have an IDE for said language.  When
VS loads a file, it first requests a full parse of the file.  Subsequent
edits to the file also generate parse requests, providing info on the
"dirty" source code region.

I'm currently taking the brute-force approach, which involves creating a new
lexer/parser and doing a full reparse on every parse request, regardless of
the specified dirty region.  That seems really inefficient.  Any suggestions
on better approaches?  Is there a way to do an incremental parse?  I'm
currently using the automatic AST generation facility.  Maybe incremental
parsing requires custom AST generation???

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dave