[antlr-interest] Profiler 2

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Fri Dec 2 03:40:50 PST 2005

> I consider myself being part of that group, too. However we
> don't have any performance problems using Java ANTLR with a
> handwritten Lexer and no ()=> at all. Or at least no real
> problems - faster is always better, but our parser munges
> through all queries in a couple of ms.
>
> So it's definitely possible to get good performance out of
> ANTLR, at least in Java. I used it in C++ for some time too,
> and results were less favorable, app. a factor 10 slower than
> a comparable LALR solution.

10x?. That's a little way out there. ANTLR C++ parsers aren't that slow
iirc. Esp. once they are compiled in release mode with optimizations turned
on. One just needs to remember to use a [f]lex scanner as the sample
demonstrates.

I wonder what factors came into play on your project.

Cheers,

Micheal