[antlr-interest] speaking of => etc...

Bill Canfield canfield at computer.org
Thu Dec 8 12:19:47 PST 2005

Olivier Dragon wrote:
> (...)?             optional subrule
> (...)#>            syntactic predicate
> {...}>>            hoisting disambiguating semantic predicate
> {...}=>            gated semantic predicate

I agree with Olivier, ()? is a time-honored convention.  I hope the
ANTLR 2 conventions of ()?, ()*, and ()+ would be carried forward.

Also, why bother changing the [] argument syntax?

If consistency is a goal, it seems like all predicates should be wrapped
in curlies.  Regular parens denote syntax grouping.  Square brackets for
arguments.

And in the name of all that's holy, please don't bring in angle
brackets!  What's next, dollar signs and percents?  :-).

Bill