[antlr-interest] still more => wars ;)

Kay Roepke kroepke at dolphin-services.de
Fri Dec 9 01:38:53 PST 2005

On 9. Dec 2005, at 7:58 Uhr, MenTaLguY wrote:

> I wonder whether we could do different types of arrows here, though,
> rather sticking funny tails on them?
>
> e.g.:
>
>  predicate: =>
>  hoisting disambiguating predicate: ->
>  gated predicate: >>

I'd rather not see that.
While it is true that the difference in still only one character, I
really
favor "funny tails". If I think arrow, I see the pictures of => and -
 > in my mind.
(Having to deal with Perl a lot I actually think of => as a comma,
but that's a different story...;)

Coming up with good candidate "tails" for hoisting and gated preds
will make them easier to recognize, IMHO,
simply because the tail will stand out more than '=' vs. '-'.
Of course this always implies you don't use an intelligent editor
with syntax coloring. (<general>And please refrain
from advertising one to me.</general>)

I really like the syn (...), sem {...}, arrow is pred rules, OTOH as
Terence put it:
"I'm not in love with the ({...}?)=> but it doesn't require new
syntax at all."
But still, I think that it is a bit to cumbersome to type all that.
One is bound to mess up at some time,
given that it would probably be used very little. I'd like to see
something terse, which I can remember at will.

- k