[antlr-interest] nondeterminism

Matt Benson gudnabrsam at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 08:43:06 PST 2005

I am having trouble recognizing nondeterminisms.  I
get warnings like
FooParser.g:106:17: warning:nondeterminism between
alts 1 and 2 of block upon
FooParser.g:106:17:     k==1:LPAREN
FooParser.g:106:17:
k==2:"null",IDENT,BEANREF,BEANCOPY,STRING_LITERAL,LBRACK,LPAREN,RPAREN,"true","false",NUM_INT,NUM_DOUBLE,NUM_LONG,NUM_FLOAT

The generated code looks as though it will behave in
the way I want.  Are there any rules of thumb that may
help me better understand what ANTLR is flagging, so
that I can know better how to (a) remove the condition
that generates the warning, (b) work around the
condition with predicates, or (c) shut off the warning
confident that I am not missing anything

?

TIA,
Matt