[antlr-interest] antlr suitable for xml languages? (like bpel and are there existing grammaires)

Sohail Somani sohail at taggedtype.net
Wed Dec 14 18:38:50 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 14:29 +0100, SOA Work wrote:
> Hi,
>
> im new to antlr (to parsing at all for being honest).
>
> I am planning to create a parser for the bpel language. Now my
> questions (as mentioned in the subject):
>
> 1. can i parse xml languages like bpel, wsdl, xhtml or soap messages
> with antlr? or is it more simple just to use some xml parsers?
>
> 2. if using antlr for parsing bpel, does somebody know existing
> grammair files for this language?

Quite honestly I am surprised Java libraries don't take more advantage
of its introspection abilities. For example, take a look at
http://xmlobject.base-art.net/.

A library like this allows you to basically define the DTD in code as
well as giving you a set of "strongly typed" classes that you can use to
manipulate the XML (all with one declaration of course). This has saved
me a metric buttload of time at work as well. Especially since I never
have to even know I'm reading XML.

Do such libraries exist in Java? I am not sure.

>From personal experience, I think XML parsers as we know them for these
types of environments should be a thing of the past. But thats just
IMHO :)

I wonder if EaseXml works in Jython :)

Sohail