[antlr-interest] antlr suitable for xml languages? (like bpelandare there existing grammaires)

Ian Kaplan iank at bearcave.com
Wed Dec 14 20:42:12 PST 2005

> Scott, what would one gain from using ANTXR rather than a standard XML
> parser validating with an XSD/DTD.

  This directed at Scott, but I hope you'll forgive me if I throw in
  by two cents...

  There are reasons to use XSD - mainly that they're standard.

  However, the validation of a document against an XSD is, as far as I
  can tell, undefined.  The XSD does not actually define a grammer in
  any form that is formally defined.  For example, LL(1), LR(1),
  LALR(1) etc...  The validators seem to do recursive tree matching.
  Just because something validates does not mean it is correct.

  In contract, if you uses an real grammar with real validation (as
  ANTLR does), you would have a defined validation and reliability.

  Seeing what has been done with XSDs, I have had to wonder if anyone
  who worked on this stuff ever took an undergrad compiler course.

  Ian (who is not a huge fan of W3C)