[antlr-interest] Lemon parser. Any comments?

Paul Johnson gt54-antlr at cyconix.com
Mon Dec 19 02:52:56 PST 2005

Bryan Ewbank wrote:
> Also, since
> lemon is in the public domain, some folks might be happier with it
> than with bison.

Bison is GPL'ed. My understanding is that they copyright the
Bison-generated files, but they don't claim any rights on the grammar
itself. It seems (to me, anyway!) that you can use Bison in commercial
products with no GPL-related problems.

> The biggest difference is that, as the documents say, "In yacc and
> bison, the parser calls the tokenizer. In Lemon, the tokenizer calls
> the parser."

There seem to be various Bison hacks around to do it both ways. I think
this may become a supported feature at some point.

Paul