[antlr-interest] antlr suitable for xml languages? (like bpel and are there existing grammaires)

Markus mp.lists at free.fr
Mon Dec 19 05:46:50 PST 2005

SOA Work writes:

 > 1. I think the efford writing a grammair file with antxr is not as huge as with plain antlr

What about writing an XML Schema parser and extending it with
functionality to generate an antxr grammar?  This would deliver a
schema compatible antxr grammar for _any_ xml subgrammar.

Or did anybody do this already??

 > 2. the generated parser should be realy fast
 >
 > 3. generating the files results in about 30 java files with sometimes strange names and complex relations. if i want to use simple datatypes (and i want to) i have to spend several hours to wrap the generated klasses to simple ones.

 > mp.lists at free.fr schrieb am 19.12.05 11:31:11:

 > Sole reason, I can presently imagine to justify a decision for a generic
 > parser generator, is, if you have a framework, which should only include
 > one parser generator and you intend to parse many different languages.
 > Otherwise, the xml-parser generators mentioned above are probably hard
 > to beat by a generic parser generator when it comes to parse xml.

O.k., I revise my statement above.  For _my_ purpose a rich type set
was more important than a small number of Java files.  But I see, that
there may be other preferences.

Cheers,

   Markus