[antlr-interest] Please enlighten a new user..

Mike Feldmeier mfeldmeier at metadata.com
Fri Dec 23 10:43:55 PST 2005

Greetings,

I have been using ANTLR for about three days now.  I have read the reference guide and two tutorials, but I still don’t understand this problem.  Note I said “read” and not necessary “understand”.

Given the following rules:

class TestLexer extends Lexer;

options

{

            k = 5;

}

A: "data";

B: "database" | "by";

I get the following warning (it seems to work, I just despise warnings):

test.g: warning:lexical nondeterminism between rules A and B upon

test.g:     k==1:'d'

test.g:     k==2:'a'

test.g:     k==3:'t'

test.g:     k==4:'a'

test.g:     k==5:<end-of-token>

Interestingly, if I take out the ‘| “by”’ from rule B, the warning disappears.

Am I just being blatantly new?  I see no reason why this should happen from what I’ve read.  Could someone explain this, or point to a specific place in documentation that explains this?

Thanks,

Mike