[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0 tree construction proposal

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Wed Feb 2 09:29:58 PST 2005

[...]

>> Huh?  You're talking about generating all of my tree grammars for me?
>> Did

> Modulo refactoring, yes.  And the set of refactorings for grammars looks
> to be reasonably small--about 10 or so.  That's the key reason I
> developed a target-language-independent construction syntax in the first
> place: when you specify the transformation, you provide enough
> information to define a corresponding tree grammar which can then be
> refactored into a useful form.  The only piece missing right now is the
> insertion analysis.

Hmm... But that presumes a constructivist approach.  I.e., one would have
to create the phases in order so that this automated tree grammar would be
constructed.  Sometimes, it's much better to e.g., work backwards from the
tree that you want and then determine the (sequence of) transformations to
make that.

In that sense, I guess that I'm saying that I'm less concerned with
automated tree grammar construction and very concerned with being able to
check that the output conforms of a phase conforms to the input of other
phases (i.e., the so-called tree diff tool).

Thanks,
	John