[antlr-interest] 2.8 update

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Fri Feb 4 17:52:26 PST 2005

On Feb 4, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Loring Craymer wrote:

> We have sorted out the licensing details.  The Open Channel people
> were very helpful, and after some discussion we agreed that there will
> be a list of files covered by the Caltech/OpenChannel license and Ter
> will put the bulk of ANTLR under BSD license, including the library
> and code generators.  The Caltech/OpenChannel license restricts
> modification for commercial use, but not commercial use per se (the
> intent is to give Open Channel a first crack at commercialization
> opportunities).  I am happy with this arrangement; I hope others are
> as well.
>
> Ter is working on modifying the 2.8 headers to mention the BSD
> license; I have promised to send the list of files and a distribution
> zip file (as a beta version; I have not yet given Marq and Wolfgang
> the opportunity to upgrade the Python support) to Open Channel by
> Monday, and the distribution should be available soon after that.

Just wanted to say thanks to Loring for all his hard work on this.
He's been working on it for a long time.  I believe Michael Jordan and
crew have pulled the C# target up to the same 2.8e level.  Note that
Caltech insists that 2.8e be released through the OpenChannel site.

Ter
PS	If you are wondering about 2.7.5 vs 2.8e, recall that 2.8e has an
'e' for experimental.  All extensions to syntax / semantics were done
by Loring and so they may or may not make it into 3.0 since I am a
dictator. ;)
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com