[antlr-interest] 2.8 update

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Sun Feb 6 09:26:01 PST 2005

The first version of this winged it's way just to Mark for some reason.
Anyway, it gave me a chance to tidy up my response.

---------------

Mark,

> >     .     Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the
> names of its
> > contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
> > this software without specific prior written permission.
>
> No, I have no objection to that, but I also find it
> unnecessary.

You may be right but I believe it to be necessary to protect the author
against the use or abuse of his name/brand/reputation to sell or endorse
derived works of which he has no knowledge or input.

With respect to the BSD license (aka "New BSD" license) and preconceptions
about it based on the old BSD license, I strongly believe it is reasonable
to expect that anyone who is worried about the license that covers their use
of an open source project would start by *reading* the license.

Micheal