[antlr-interest] 2.8 update

Loring Craymer Loring.G.Craymer at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 14 11:34:44 PST 2005

At 11:08 AM 2/14/2005, Prashant Deva wrote:
> > > Also what all stuff goes under the Caltech/Open Channel?
> >
> > The grammars for rewrite and tree grammar generation, plus the classes to
> > support tree grammar generation.
>If the grammars make it into antlr 3 then anyone writing an ide will
>have to incorporate that grammar in the ide to support your tree
>grammar generation stuff. In that case they will have to use that
>grammar.
>How will that be possible if that is restricted by the Caltech/Open
>Channel license?

The license isn't intended to be restrictive, merely to protect the
intellectual property rights of contributing institutions; Open Channel has
first right if there is commercial potential, but that is potential payback
to Open Channel for bearing the cost of maintaining the site and keeping
legally required records of downloads.  Some (probably minor) negotiation
would be required with the Open Channel people and myself, but that is
pretty normal to avoid intellectual property claims against a commercial
product.

I do not see any real problems with incorporating my stuff into 3.0 for an
IDE; just the usual hassles of licensing copyrighted material.

--Loring