[antlr-interest] How about migrating java generated code to java 5

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Wed Feb 23 01:42:42 PST 2005

> Well, i guess we will need to have a separate generator for
> pre 1.5 java. But we would HAVE to move ultimately to java
> 1.5 code. Maybe instead of putting it in any of 2.xx
> releases, it would be better to have only 1.5 support in
> antlr3 , with no support for pre 1.5.

Better for whom?.

Certainly not for those who need to support JDK1.2/1.3/1.4.

> As antlr 3 will already
> have a bunch of radical changes, the complete shift to java 5
> generated code shouldn't do any harm.

It would but, I won't labour the point since ANTLR3's architecture
simplifies the development of code generators. Supporting all the different
JDKs (and any new ones) is significantly easier.

I'm looking forward to your Prashant_JDK_5_only codegen...  ;-)

Cheers,

Micheal