[antlr-interest] FEATURE REQUEST: continued and memory/speedissues

Akhilesh Mritunjai virtualaspirin at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 20:33:14 PST 2005

--- Ric Klaren <ric.klaren at gmail.com> wrote:
> >   #ifdef ANTLR_FACTORY_VIRTUAL
> >      #define FACTORY_VIRTUAL virtual
>
> Not really to my taste to add. Doing stuff like this

Ric, I agree that it will be a maintenance headache.
On the contrary, this is by and large only way to
satisfy both, who need speed and who need flexibility.
Personally, I don't understand why making things
virtual will be so significant change... in Java every
method is virtual by default and in my test case it is
twice as fast as C++ and at same time consumes a third
less memory.

> Combine that with the fact that I'm limited in time
> I can spend on antlr makes things simple
optimization
> stuff goes last period.

Ric, thanks a ton for your time and efforts :-) You
folks are doing one hell of a job!!

I personally will be very happy to help in this
regard. Can I send you the diffs ? If yes, then
against which release ?

Oh, Happy new year to you all out there!

Regards
- Akhilesh