[antlr-interest] Newlines (yet again)

David Wigg wiggjd at lsbu.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 05:49:38 PST 2005

With reference to this message,

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:08:22 -0800 (PST)
From: "Paul J. Lucas" <pauljlucas at mac.com>
Subject: [antlr-interest] Newlines (yet again)
To: ANTLR Interest <antlr-interest at antlr.org>

A while ago, I mentioned that I do:

		('\r')? '\n' { newline(); }

to match newlines.  It seems to be the case that explicitly
testing for the '\r' is unnecessary: if a '\n' is required, who
cares what the character immediately before it is?  So this can
simply be:

		'\n' { newline(); }

and it will work on both *nix and Windows, right?

	- Paul

I have the following comments to make;

Admittedly I have not seen any previous correspondence on this
subject but I don't see how you can ignore the possibility of a
'\r' appearing here.

In any case I don't think it will work on a Mac file, or has
this been changed now?

I use the following following for C++ which I believe is simple
  and comprehensive.

Whitespace
    :	(	(' ' |'\t' | '\f')

		// handle newlines
	|	(	"\r\n"  // MS
		|	'\r'    // Mac
		|	'\n'    // Unix
		)	{newline();}

		// handle continuation lines
		|	"\\\r"    // Mac
		|	"\\\n"    // Unix
		)	{deferredNewline();}
	)
	{_ttype = ANTLR_USE_NAMESPACE(antlr)Token::SKIP;}
	;

David.