[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0 tree construction proposal

Martin Probst mail at martin-probst.com
Mon Jan 31 13:41:47 PST 2005

Hi,

> 	What is my point?  Tree construction syntax is already a barrier to
> overcome to reading Antlr grammars.

It might be too late or just insignificant and certainly somewhat
offtopic but here is my users perspective: I find the ANTLR style of
defining tree construction _very_ strange. IMHO it's close to code
obfuscation with all these ^, !, :, =, # and [].
I would really prefer it if ANTLR would stick to some clear keywords and
maybe find a way of distinguishing ANTLR actions (e.g. where you do
$setType and similar things) and actions in the target language.
The readability of tree construction syntax is really very poor at the
moment.

Regards,
Martin