[antlr-interest] ANTLR lecture and dinner in Mumbai and Bangalore India

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Sun Jul 10 13:12:13 PDT 2005

Howdy,

I just got word from my contact in India that is managing my
itinerary etc... that we have some extra seats left in the lectures
I'm doing on ANTLR at the Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai July 25th and the
Taj Residency in Bangalore July 28th.  Free buffet dinner apparently. :)

Anyway, they were originally restricting it to people that were
interested in coming to USF for grad school, but apparently they have
made more room or something and so they've opened up the lecture to
anybody with an interest in programming.  I'm attaching the text of
the "advertisement" on the lecture.

Please feel free to pass this announcement on to your fellow
programmers. :)

If you wanna come say hi or see the lecture, please contact Dr.
Richard Johnson, rgjohnson at usfca.edu, at USF's Thailand (Bangkok)
office.   Dr. Johnson's office phone number is +662-685-3515.

Regards,
Terence
-----------------------
Lecture title

"An introduction to ANTLR and domain-specific languages"

Lecture abstract

Most people think of grammars and parser generators in terms of
building compilers, yet the number of language recognition and
translation tasks dwarfs the number of compilers being built.  In this
lecture, Terence Parr illustrates the wide applicability of parser
generators to domain specific languages and other recognition and
translation tasks.

ANTLR codifies what programmers do naturally by hand, thereby placing
the power of formal languages in the hands of the average programmer.
This lecture is a practical introduction to ANTLR and uses numerous
examples to demonstrate the power of simple grammars and their use in
a variety of common tasks.

Why learn about language tools?

Skill with computer languages is the single most useful programming
weapon you can acquire because it covers just about every application
of computing. As the primary developer of ANTLR, I receive questions
from an amazingly broad group of users: biologists doing DNA pattern
recognition, NASA scientists automatically building communication
libraries from deep space probe specification RTF documents, people
building configuration files for every conceivable kind of program,
and so on. BEA Systems' WebLogic server uses ANTLR for many parsing
and translation tasks such as JSP translation and SQL expression
parsing.  The jGuru.com Java developer's site incorporates many
languages from object-schema specifications to HTML sanitizers.  The
point is that computer language skills enable you to produce extremely
flexible and powerful software, not just compilers for new programming
languages.  Being proficient with languages and grammars identifies
you immediately as a sophisticated developer, on a tier above most
other programmers.

Why come to hear Terence Parr?

Terence has been building and studying languages and language tools
for 20 years.  He is the creator of the popular parser generator,
ANTLR (there are over 5000 downloads a month) that has almost
single-handely diverted attention from LR-based tools such as yacc.
Because of his dual academic background and substantial industrial
experience, Terence brings an unusual perspective to the world of
parsing and translation.  Furthermore, he is an engaging and
entertaining speaker.

Brief Biography

Terence Parr is a professor of computer science and graduate program
director at the University of San Francisco where he continues to work
on his ANTLR parser generator, http://www.antlr.org. Terence recently
returned from years in industry where he co-founded jGuru.com. He
herded programmers and implemented the large jGuru developers web
site, during which time he developed and refined the StringTemplate
engine. Terence has consulted for and held various technical positions
at companies such as IBM, Lockheed Missiles and Space, NeXT, and
Renault Automation.  Terence holds a Ph.D. in Computer Engineering
from Purdue University and was a postdoctoral fellow at the Army
High-Performance Computing Research Center at the University of
Minnesota where he built parallelizing FORTRAN source-to-source
translators.

Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com