[antlr-interest] submission of patches, fixes, other contributions

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Wed Jun 1 07:47:10 PDT 2005

> [...]
>
> > Why is it hypocritical?
>
> > If *I* drive recklessly, you are arguing that it's fair to
> blame the
> > occupants of the car I hit for the accident (equally with me, of
> > course
> > :-)
>
> > The *contributor* is placing the project at risk by virtue of his
> > contribution, therefore he has a duty to certify that he
> has behaved
> > properly in making that contribution. You cannot ask the USER to
> > certify that the CONTRIBUTOR has behaved himself. Therefore
> you (have
> > to) place a higher duty on the contributor.
>
> Please read this thread again.  The hypocrisy that I've
> talked about is the difference between (the draft of) what's
> required *of* the contributor and what's being
> offered/warranted by Ter *to* the users.

Ter's primary concern is the minimizing risks to the ANTLR project (and by
extension it's users in some cases) from third party contributions. Wording
the license agreement to transfer risk from users to the project jeopardizes
that goal (and is somewhat naïve from a legal stance).

Best he can do is to ensure that he has a record of contributor
agreements/declarations that the users can access if they ever find
themselves embroiled in any ANTLR-related action related to third party
contributions.

Cheers,

Micheal
ANTLR/C#