[antlr-interest] a request about "reply-all" to list

Scott Stanchfield scott at javadude.com
Wed Jun 1 18:04:50 PDT 2005

>  > If you find top-posting annoying, the server should allow
> you to reformat  > messages (like this one)that are only top posts.
>

> It's virtually imposible.

Not at all. There are three classes of posts:

1) reply is only at top
2) reply is only at bottom
3) reply is embedded

For #1 and #2, reformatting is easy. For #2, reformatting is never
necessary.

> Try this:
>
>  > Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>  >> Why is it such a bad thing?
>  >>> Top-posting.
>  >>>> What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Utterly contrived example. And moreso, people concentrate on the top-level
text and only use nested stuff for context.

As Anthony posted, top or bottom posting ignores the concerns of those who
prefer the opposite. I prefer top posts so I can see most of the reply when
previewing messages, as do many other folks. That way I can quickly skip
tangents.

Later,
-- Scott