[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0ea1 and ANTLRWorks 1.0ea1 released!

stefan stefan at amiq.ro
Thu Jun 2 05:20:31 PDT 2005

On Thursday 02 June 2005 14:42, rvjansen at xs4all.nl wrote:
> > well 64 mb is a LOT of mem to occupy for opening a 184kb file.
>
> Trust me, for any reasonable Swing program it is next to nothing. I have
> come to accept this, although that was hard for someone who's large
> Assembler-XF programs counted 3-4K instructions and then was shocked at
> the median size of a COBOL program at a whopping 32K.

   I've build few swing applications and I can say swing it's quite slow and
consumes a lot of resources.
   I consider this is not the most important part as long as:
  - the application is reliable from a functional point of view
  - small response time for simple operations
  - it offers me information of the ongoing long operations
  - presents exceptions in a understandable way (I prefer a simple message
like "Oooops! Bad click!" to a stack trace)
  - I have the resources (I think these days 256M of RAM is affordable)

Stefan.