[antlr-interest] Why no links to ANTLR 3.0 on www.antlr.org??

Matt Benson gudnabrsam at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 11:24:37 PDT 2005

</lurk>
--- Terence Parr <parrt at cs.usfca.edu> wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2005, at 5:12 AM, Geir Ove Skjaervik
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Terrnce,
>
> Hi !
>
> > The way you respond to mr. Blomberg tells me that
> at your level of
> > knowlegde of Parsing and Parser technology you do
> not any longer
> > comprehend the problems beginners are struggling
> with: You ask
> > questions
> > the novice / beginner does NOT know how to answer
> because (he / she /
> > we) are trying to grasp the concept.
>
> Well, I do have to teach students this stuff on a
> regular
> basis...seems I succeed sometimes...

I knew that was coming... ;)

[SNIP]
> > So what docs where available to help with this:
> All over the net there
> > are examples on how to execute Expressins ( 2+ 3
> etc) using Tree
> > walking. But how to execute an IF statement, or a
> LOOP ?
>
> True, the examples are more complicated.  The
> problem you have though
> is a general "how do I build an interpreter"
> problem, which has
> nothing to do with ANTLR really.  ANTLR is just the
> structure
> recognizer.  You need to learn about symbol tables,
> exec
> environments, and a bunch of other stuff.  Perhaps
> my grad course
> notes can help you out there.

I had intended to point him toward these if noone else
did.  Coming from a "get a minimal degree ASAP to put
food on the table" background, I didn't have the
"luxuries" of interesting classes like how to build
parsers, etc.  I found Ter's course notes extremely
illuminating (if a tad ANTLR-biased :).  To make sure
anyone interested can't miss them, there is a link
under "Documentation" at www.antlr.org .

-Matt

<lurk>