[antlr-interest] Why no links to ANTLR 3.0 on www.antlr.org??

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at eca-international.com
Fri Jun 10 07:46:18 PDT 2005

Well, take me for example. I did NOT study CS at Uni (I didn't even go
to Uni ...), getting started in programming immediately I left school
(with very good 'A'-levels). My then boss had a maths degree. And the US
is unusual - it has a relatively very high proportion of kids going to
Uni of one sort or another ...

And as for my attitude to CS degrees? There's no way I would want one!
No disrespect to the kids at Uni nowadays, but a far higher proportion
of kids nowadays go to Uni than did in my day (I think it's doubled if
not more) and simple logic says either the quality of kids has gone up,
or the quality of students has gone down. I doubt it's the former, and
experience tells me its the latter - a candidate with a computer degree
wouldn't find it easy to get on any shortlist I was drawing up... That
said, I suspect many allegedly CS degrees are more like IT degrees - how
to USE a computer, not how to understand it ...

Don't expect everyone to have a CS degree. I've got mine now - got a
postgrad from a top Uni last year :-)

Cheers,
Wol