[antlr-interest] Tree walking Q

Gerald B. Rosenberg gbr at newtechlaw.com
Fri Jun 10 10:00:17 PDT 2005

At 12:14 PM 6/10/2005, Andy Tripp wrote:

>  If you want to walk a tree and only
>do actions at a few nodes, I think hand-written Java code is cleaner and
>simpler than
>creating an ANTLR treewalker.

Of course, this is a question of tradeoffs.  Turns out that ANTLR does
provide a defaulting mechanism, as previously posted, that is far simpler
and clearer than anything I could write.

>And even when you have to do an action at every node,
>I prefer "hand-written" code.

We have a philosophical difference, since I prefer using tools as much as
reasonably possible.  Given that I am doing natural language processing
with ANTLR, I admit to possibly having a bent idea of what is reasonable.

Best,
Gerald
----
Gerald B. Rosenberg, Esq.
NewTechLaw
285 Hamilton Avenue, Suite 520
Palo Alto, CA  94301-2576

650.325.2100  (office)  /  650.703.1724  (cell)
650.325.2107  (fax)

www.newtechlaw.com