[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR 3.0ea2 and ANTLRWorks 1.0ea2 released!

Matthew Ford matthew.ford at forward.com.au
Mon Jun 13 05:27:55 PDT 2005

Hi Jean,
Please excuse the abruptness of my previous two postings.
AntlrWorks is a great concept and I am looking forward to its first full release.

I have another two suggestions

i) Pressing the 'Submit Stats'  button locks up the GUI.
This action should be passed to a background thread for processing and the panel should close immediately.
My website has code and details on spawning background threads and handling their results for both Java V1.4 and V1.5
http://www.forward.com.au/javaProgramming/index.html#programming_with_java_threads

ii) I recommend you avoid error message (and confirmation) dialog boxes alltogther.  This like article says why and suggests some alternatives
http://www.forward.com.au/javaProgramming/javaGuiTips/dialogBoxes.html#dialog_boxes
I am sure you can think of others or more pleasing designs.

As an adjunct to removing confirmation dialog boxes you need to provide a comprehensive undo/redo function (not just for edits) so the user can change their mind.

all the best
matthew