[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0ea2 and ANTLRWorks 1.0ea2 released!

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Mon Jun 13 12:31:29 PDT 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 12:08 PM, Jim Idle wrote:
> I am very much looking forward to the release of 3.0. One question to
> clarify things though. I think I may have misled myself into thinking
> that 3.0 would be able to use a C runtime (as in the code for the
> parser, not ANTLR). I think that what I saw was that the
> stringtemplate
> was a good thing for producing C code translations of input streams
> (which it certainly looks like it is) and jumped to conclusions. I
> have
> tried to make time to read through all the blog/notes/ideas and
> remember
> reading about language independence. However it would seem that 3.0
> will
> be Java only at parser runtime?

We had a C runtime working thanks to Ric months ago, but he can't
keep up with my constant changes to the templates as I race to the
finish line.  Poor guy has to work for a living! ;)  I hope that he
will catch up when I finish the tree stuff :)

The C.stg file provided doesn't actually work anymore, but it does
give you the idea.  The various targets will literally be a simple
change of template file...no code!  The dream was verified by Ric
back at the ANTLR2004 workshop when he cranked out C.stg :)
CSharp.stg should be pretty easy.

The only target code needed is of course the support library, which
this time is clearly identified. ;)

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com