[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0ea2 and ANTLRWorks 1.0ea2 released!

Jean Bovet antlr-list at arizona-software.ch
Mon Jun 13 16:33:42 PDT 2005

> I have worked out why the color coding seems to be broken: a
> careful examination of how it breaks, and a sip of Bridgeport IPA,
> showed that it is out by 1 character position for each line. This
> is because it is only parsing correctly when the newline sequence
> is the UNIX \n only (and, I imagine, the MAC \r). Files that came
> from some Windows editor will usually have \r\n and the syntax
> highlighting (and the editor pane in general) are not dealing with
> this.
>

> You will find it all magically works if you use gvim to rewrite the
> file with \n as new line only. You could use any number of ways to
> change the end of line character of course.

Whow! I think you are right! Great job!

That's why I have difficulty to reproduce that because even on Linux/
Windows, I am using files coming from the Mac OS X box.

I have read a long time agon in the JTextPane API description that
"...while the document is in memory, the "\n" character is used to
define a newline...". Apparently, this is not always the case....

> Personally, I found my use of the tool to be greatly enhanced once
> this worked properly. The only thing I could do with now is a bit
> more documentation on what is syntactically different in this pre-
> release. Once I found the 3.0 demo stuff I made strides forward.
> Though it is pretty reasonable to expect that if you are using the
> pre-release you will have to wing it a bit.

Great!

> My only fear (hoping not to start a religious war) is that
> graphical tools built in Java always seem to crash, hang, have slow
> GUIs and so on (at least on windows, and though it would be easy to
> blame Windows, I don’t think that is the issue). At the moment this
> tool suffers form the same issues – though I am loathe to offer any
> judgment at this stage in the game – I would prefer to contribute
> to its betterment.

It would be very handy to have a report of what kind of crash did
occur and after what serie of commands.

> I very much like the syntax diagrams, though I have not decided if
> they are just a cool gimmick for the programmer or not yet. They
> certainly will aid in documentation enormously. Perhaps we could
> have a mode that could export all the syntax diagrams at once
> (sorry if it is there and I missed it)?

I will think about that. Currently, you can export only one diagram
at a time in an image file. I will see what I can do for PDF ;-)

> I would suggest that errors from parsing the grammar appear by
> “check grammar”, or “Build”, in their own pane, instead of the Java
> console, and be able to double click them to locate the error in
> the source code.

I will think more about that ;-) Note that the errors appearing by
"check grammar" are indicated by a yellow icon in the rules/tokens list.

> Don’t prompt for output locations all the time, but allow a change
> of ‘properties’ if the programmer wants to change the output
> location after the first run.

I can set a preferences for that, sure.

> In light of the above, perhaps have a project file that hold such
> things. Borrowing from some of the good things in like Visual
> Studio .Net 2003 (err, I mean the freeware tools such as Eclipse),
> is not a bad idea. I realize of course that there was quite an
> effort to get to this point first and such things tend to get
> filled in afterwards.

Well, that's may be interesting!

Thanks for these comments and for your help about the syntax coloring
behavior!

Jean