[antlr-interest] v3.0 debug interface

Tom Brandon tom at psy.unsw.edu.au
Thu Mar 24 18:17:51 PST 2005

 I agree, though a plugin to what? How exactly is the instrumentation
supposed to happen (Ter?)? I assume it will be through custom code
generators extending the base ones to add debug functionality? So, will
these be provided by Antlr or will the IDE be responsible for hooking in
it's own debug generators? And then how will it divide between core
Antlr and code-gens? Presumably some mix is needed. Code-gen needs to
provide language-specific debug calls, but implementing entire debug
system would be troublesome, so ideally core Antlr would be doing
something, building on smaller units specified by code-gen (perhaps just
low-level call-message stuff, perhaps higher, allowing C# to spit out
conditional methods for debug builds might be nice). And then the IDE
seems to need some place in the whole thing, to specify whether it wants
to be doing in-process (for a target-language it can host) or net based
otherwise for instance.

Tom.