[antlr-interest] wow; talk about premature optimization

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Wed Mar 30 15:43:48 PST 2005

Hi,

This is pretty funny.  The fact that I have all this junk in ANTLR v3
to generate/assemble bytecode etc... has been bugging me.  It's
"unclean" and only needed for java.  I ran an experiment last night and
today--I went back to generating pure Java for my cyclic DFA.  I have
to use a method call to switch states whereas in bytecodes I can use a
goto.  I expected this to be a huge win.  Turns out...drum roll...for
large input there is no difference. ;)  most decisions are not cyclic
and are generated efficiently in pure java.  There appears to be a
small start up cost associated with the static DFA objects I have to
create, but not that bad.

It was a MUCH bigger optimization to factor out LA(i) calls to
store/use a temp value instead.  Switch generation also surprised me by
buying us not that much.  C and such could get more from it so I'm
leaving.  Java VMs probably just aren't too good at switches unless
they are consecutive values.

So, I am tentatively switching back to pure java, no bytecodes.
Apparently I did the bytecode stuff for "fun".  No biggie as I really
wanted to learn how to gen .class files and generate bytecodes.  I'm
well prepared for a grad programming class now. :)

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com