[antlr-interest] Java-lite install?

Evan Lavelle ml-antlr at riverside-machines.co.uk
Tue May 3 14:55:26 PDT 2005

Loring Craymer wrote:
> Ric built gcj support into ANTLR starting with 2.7.3.  There should be
> install notes somewhere in the distribution--it's just a matter of
> configuring with the proper flags, I believe.

There doesn't seem to be anything specific in configure, or in
INSTALL.txt or README.txt. gcj is supported, but configure only appears
to check for it if you have a Java runtime installed. If you haven't got
a Java runtime, configure doesn't attempt to compile the ANTLR sources
at all. However, Luca's makefile, which isn't part of the distribution,
does use gcj to compile ANTLR itself. That's my limited and possibly
incorrect understanding of what's going on, anyway.

What I'd like to do, if possible, is just to use gcj to compile the
sources to a shared library, which produces C++ code. This does, I
think, seem to be possible, judging from various snippets in the FAQ and
elsewhere, but I haven't quite got to this stage...

Evan