[antlr-interest] Java-lite install?

Evan Lavelle eml at riverside-machines.co.uk
Tue May 3 08:21:35 PDT 2005

I don't use Java at all (and know nothing about it), and was hoping to
use ANTLR to generate C++ code, or at least code that I can link with
C++ using gcj/gcc.

What I've done so far is to download the sources, and to compile them
using Luca Di Gaspero's makefile, producing the 'cantlr' executable. I
then had a go at running the simple example on the 'Getting started with
ANTLR' page. cantlr processes the example grammar file (t.g) correctly,
but if I then run 'gcj *.java' I get various error messages along the
lines of:

L.java:25: error: Class or interface `antlr.SemanticException' not found
in import.

This class was compiled in by Luca's makefile, and I've got no idea
what's going on. Any pointers? Is cantlr all that's required, or do I
need to do something else?

BTW - I had a go at an RPM installation, but gave up following
dependency meltdown.

Thanks

Evan