[antlr-interest] v3 pre-release usage data and stat collection

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Wed May 18 13:17:35 PDT 2005

Howdy,

In an effort to provide a better product (both the GUI ANTLRWorks and
antlr v3 itself), the pre-release coming out in a week or two will
include extra code for debugging as well as usage/stats collection.
This information will be collected continuously and stored in a file
on your disk.  Once a week a dialog will pop-up in ANTLRWorks showing
you the report it is planning on sending to my antlr.org server.  The
stats/usage info will naturally be wiped clean of anything that could
identify you or your company (e.g., no list of rules or machine name
or whatever).

By knowing which features you use in the GUI we can focus on
improving those features.  By tracking info about your grammar and
how much lookahead is used during actual parsing, I can optimize
ANTLR v3 for the full release.

How do people feel about this?  Seems like it shouldn't bother
anybody and it will *only* occur during the pre-release days when
we'll have debugging and other stuff in there anyway.  Most people
will be waiting for a full release, but the courageous and intrepid
v3 pre-release users will have to hit "OK" once a week in the
GUI. ;)  Naturally if you don't use the GUI, you will never see the
dialog and no data will be sent.

Regards,
Terence
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com