[antlr-interest] C to assembler compiler

Igor Inas igor.inas at gmail.com
Thu May 26 04:14:03 PDT 2005

I am taking a course in compilers this year. The practical part of the
exam was to implement a compiler which translates C source code to
assembler. The C is a very very simple one, with no pointers, no
arrays as arguments and so on.

We were instructed to use bison, but the first paragraph of bison
manual says: "You need to be fluent in C programming in order to use
Bison." which made me to look after a Java alternative. And since
Antlr has a very nice webpage I chose that one :)

The result can be downloaded at http://sprite.edi.fmph.uniba.sk/~inas/antlr/

There are still some unresolved issues, and at the end, when deadline
was coming near, I wrote more and more ugly code.

Though the documentation for antlr is a very good one, and the mailing
list contains lots of usefull tips, I missed practical examples of
parsers and compilers written in Antlr on the web, so I hope, this can
be usefull to newcomers.

Igor Inas