[antlr-interest] StringTemplate + preserving comments

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Tue Nov 8 10:04:52 PST 2005

On Nov 8, 2005, at 10:00 AM, sohail at taggedtype.net wrote:
>> Sohail Somani wrote:
>>
>>> I think the subject line is basically impossible with antlr
>>> +stringtemplate, BUT in the off-chance someone has any ideas to
>>> do this,
>>> I would appreciate some pointers.
>>>
>>> It would be really nice if one could do it without a TreeParser :)
>>>
>> Hi
>> I don't know much about Stringtemplate, but if you want to preserve
>> comments,
>> you could use a tokenstreamhiddentoken filter after pasrsing, see
>> http://www.antlr.org/doc/streams.html
>
> Hi Ed!
>
> I am aware of this technique. I would ideally like the separation that
> StringTemplate provides. This is a bit difficult because (I think) it
> would require me to insert <comment>'s between every tag in my
> template. I
> should probably sign up for the stringtemplate ml now.

Howdy.  For tweaking or augmenting input, ANTLR +
TokenStreamRewriteEngine is pretty damn hard to beat. :)  That said,
I'm hoping to learn how to build a pretty printer in the new few
months as a way to test new v3 functionality.  As you say, preserving
the comments in this scenario is pretty tough.  I will have to think
about how to solve that.  Naturally ANTLR has all the info, the
problem may be simply to assume that any token you insert into the
template also includes any hidden tokens before it.  Heh, that might
work :)  In v2 or v3, I think you can just alter Token.toString() to
print hidden stuff before the token as well.  easy :) Damn!  That
might work!

Ter